Cobras loss overshadowed by injury

Cobras loss overshadowed by injury

Toolstation Northern Counties East – Premier Division
Saturday 12th August 2017
At  The Supply Chain Network Community Stadium, Garforth

Garforth Town (4) 6
Ward 4, Turner 8 39 86, Poole 16, McCrum 81

Clipstone FC (0) 0
Attendance: 68
Report by Jim McIntosh (@Realalerunner)

A heavy away defeat for Clipstone was overshadowed by a serious leg injury to defender Rob Paling late in the game.

Paling was treated by paramedics on the pitch before being taken by ambulance to hospital where it was later confirmed that he had broken his tibia and fibula.

To make matters worse, the Cobras had already used their allocation of three substitutes and therefore had to play the remaining eleven minutes with only ten men. Garforth were already four goals to the good and rubbed salt into the Cobras’ wounds with two late goals.

Clipstone boss Ian Cotton included two new faces with goalkeeper Jason Alexander and midfielder Jack Hutchinson in the starting eleven. However the game was effectively over as a contest within 16 minutes as the home side raced into a three goal lead.

Garforth centre forward Calum Ward beat the Cobras’ offside trap and produced an excellent finish to beat Alexander as the home side scored with their first attempt on goal after four minutes.

Matters got worse from Clipstone as an attempted clearance fell to Lee Turner on eight minutes and the winger made no mistake from the corner of the six yard box. Simon Poole grabbed a third for Garforth in the sixteenth minute after a great run and cross by Turner.

The fourth goal did not arrive until the 39th minute when Turner took advantage of half-hearted defending to run into the area and place the ball over Alexander.

Joe Harris hit the crossbar with a 20-yard shot just before half time but it was a rare threatening moment from the Cobras.

Half Time 4-0

Cotton made two changes at half time with Jermain Jatau and Fenn Radford coming on. The changes together with a more positive attitude saw the visitors create several chances in the second period and Jatau came close to grabbing a goal back on two occasions after neat interplay with Gareth Curtis.

It was starting to look as though the improved second half display would enable Clipstone to keep the final score respectable. However after the game resumed following Paling’s injury, centre back Luke McCrum headed home a corner and Turner then completed his hat-trick with four minutes left.

Full Time 6-0

The Cobras have an immediate chance to bounce back as they host Liversedge on Tuesday 15th August, 7.45pm kick off.

Leave a Reply