Clipstone out of the F.A. Cup suffering 4-1 loss to Bottesford.

It was all to play for until the 80th minute....

Clipstone V Bottesford Town (F.A. Cup)

Clipstone went out of the FA Cup although the Cobras showed plenty of spirit and the final scoreline was not a true reflection of the game.

Manager Ian Cotton made a number of changes after the home defeat in midweek against Liversedge with Jacob Lowe, Tim Gregory, Ben Rogers and Ben Burbanks coming in.

Both sides had difficulty in coping with a strong wind that the home side had behind them in the first half. There was an early scare for the Cobras when Danny Boulton beat the offside trap and then saw his shot hit the post with less than 60 seconds gone.

The home side were then awarded a penalty in the 12th minute after Charlie Taylor was harshly adjudged to have handled the ball as he slid in to block an attempted cross. However the home side did not take

advantage as Jason Alexander got a hand to John Leonard’s spot kick and pushed it onto the post.

Alexander produced another fine save to deny Boulton late in the half whilst the Cobras best chance in the first period came when a chip by Gregory caught the wind and Bottesford ‘keeper Jordan Douglas did well to tip it over the bar.

Half time 0-0

The Cobras showed more attacking intent in the second period and very nearly grabbed a goal just before the hour

when a Gareth Curtis corner found Taylor at the back post but the Cobras’ captain put his effort just the wrong side of the post.

This near miss proved to be the catalyst and three goals followed in eleven minutes. Boulton opened the scoring for Bottesford in the 59th minute when he scored from close range. 1-0

Clipstone then equalised six minutes later when Curtis and Gregory combined to create an opening for the latter who fired a low shot under the advancing ‘keeper. 1-1

The home side then restored their advantage with a free kick from thirty yards from left back Jack Cross that was hit powerfully into the top corner. 2-1

The visitors then suffered another blow when ‘keeper Alexander was substituted with a leg injury that he had initially picked up in the first half.

The Cobras continued to press forward without creating any real chances and the result was still in the balance until the 84th minute when Bottesford substitute Tom Spall scored their third. The goal was allowed to stand despite strong claims of offside in the build-up.

Bacon added a fourth for the home side with two minutes remaining to rub salt into the Cobras’ wounds.

Clipstone’s next games are away to Maltby Main on Wednesday 23 August (7.45pm) and then at home to Pickering Town on Saturday 26 August (3pm).

Leave a Reply