Dave Hoole happy with Clipstone progress following Mickleover friendly defeat

Boss Dave Hoole says he was happy with Clipstone’s progress in their 3-1 defeat at home to NPL side Mickleover.

Gaffer happy with Clipstone progress following Mickleover friendly defeat

Clipstone were level at the break thanks to a brilliant free-kick from Jason Foster.

But they conceded two goals inside three minutes after they were caught dozing at the start of a second-half which saw Clipstone blood three U19 players in the final 23 minutes.

Boss Hoole said he was delighted by the display of his side against superior opposition.

“I am really happy with that,” he said, “Mickleover brought most of the fist team down and we have not disgraced ourselves.

“We are slowly progressing, We have found a formation that suits us and put in a performance today that warrants praise for the boys. They are putting in the hard work and I am pleased.

“We were looking to use Mitch Mullins at full-back but he proved today he is a midfielder all day long. His work-rate attitude and commitment is all that you want from a midfielder in that area,

“It was good to see him putting in the tackles and not getting phased by a good Mickleover side.

“We had a little bit of naivety with the goals and got caught cold straight after half-time. They were good goals and they took them well.

“The young footballers we have got coming through are not phased. I have been known for giving youth a chance.

“The U19’s playing at the end did themselves no harm at all with how they portrayed themselves and fitted into the side.”

Hoole was forced to shuffle his pack due to player unavailability with Dec Whitton moving from centre back to left back to replace Matt Leyland, while Marcus Beddoe earned a start following his two goals versus Retford.

Stuart Beavon opened the scoring for the visitors with a close-range header on 14 minutes.

Ethan Blackbourn skipped round two Mickleover players but his shot was straight at Joe Slinn on 22 minutes.

The Cobras did level 14 minutes later when Foster placed a perfect free kick into the top corner.

But they got off to a bad start after the break when Will Monteiro put the visitors ahead on 48 minutes after a long ball caught the defence napping.

And the game was put out of sight two minutes later when Kemy Augustine grabbed after he created space in the box with good footwork, before firing home.

Clipstone played the last 23 minutes with three of their U19 team on the pitch, with Jack Lowe, Aron Ferenc and George Weaver all giving a good account.

Thanks to Stephen Thirkill, Chad Sport for the article.

Leave a Reply