Clipstone FC vs Mickleover FC Match Summary

Clipstone’s second game of their pre-season campaign ended in a 1-4 defeat to Mickleover FC on a warm afternoon at the Lido Ground. However the visitors ply their trade in the Northern Premier League, three steps higher up the non league pyramid than the Cobras, and the home side remained competitive throughout. In the end a number of quality moments from the visitors proved to be the difference.

The home side took an early lead when Will
Heather scored from close range in the 9th minute after the visitors failed to deal with a Jason Foster corner, however Mickleover were back on level terms 11 minutes later when they were gifted a goal after a defensive mixup by the Cobras. They increased their lead from a well-taken free kick with 34 minutes gone and the score remained 1-2 at half time.

The visitors scored 2 further goals, both after excellent build up play, in the 53rd and 69th minutes. The home side continued to work hard and press the ball at every opportunity although clear scoring chances were limited.

Cobras’ boss Dave Hoole used all 6 substitutes and this gave more first team game time to Under 19 duo George Hardwick and Jack Sellers. In addition there was a debut for Under 19s ‘keeper Finn Batty who impressed with two good stops late in the game.

After the game Hoole said “it was a good workout for the boys. It was a hot, humid day and we were competitive throughout. At the end if the day it was down to fine margins. Dale (Spragg) and myself are not frightened to put young players in. Harry Lindsay and George Hardwick have impressed at training and in games and have been rewarded with first team games”.

Next up for the Cobras is a home game against Clay Cross Town on Saturday 17 July, 3pm.

Clipstone match squad: Ogden (gk), Wright, Whitton, Massey, Foster, Mullins, Sorrell, Pickering, Blackbourn, Heather, Lowe, Sellers, Hardwick, J Warwick, White, Waldran, Batty (gk)

Clipstone FC Media Team

Leave a Reply