Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

Retford FC vs Clipstone FC Sat 29th January KO 3pm

Saturday 29 January 2022

Northern Counties East Football League Division 1

Retford FC (3) 3

Scott 38 White 39 Parkin 45

Clipstone (0) 2

Bennett og 50 Finneran 70


White, Wright, Clarke, Roche, O’Malley, Winter, Moss, Appiah ©, Finneron (O’Kane 87), Murphy, Lammy (Kee 62)

Unused substitutes: Platts, Firth, Hardwick

Cobras’ Man of the Match:  Darragh Roche

Bookings: Wright, Appiah

Attendance: 137

Match summary by Jim McIntosh:

Clipstone came very close to grabbing a point on a very windy afternoon at Retford as they fought back from being three goals behind at half time.

Rudy Funk was forced to make four changes from the team that beat Humber FC due to injury, Covid and unavailability with Sam O’Malley returning and first starts for striker Francis Finneran from Chesterfield FC Academy and experienced midfielders Daz Winter and Ishmael Lammy.

The strong and blustery wind blowing straight down the ground made conditions difficult as both sides struggled to string passes together. The first clear cut chance fell to Clipstone just after the half hour mark when Nathan Moss’ free kick was headed on by Daz Winter to Sam O’Malley. The latter’s header from close range looked to be heading in until Retford ‘keeper Jon Kennedy somehow got a hand to it and pushed the ball onto the bar.

Having had the better of the first 30 minutes despite playing into the wind, the Cobras then contrived to concede three goals in an eight minute spell. Firstly,  Clipstone defenders appear to misjudge long clearance from Kennedy down their left hand side in the 38th minute and allowed Adam Scott to run in on goal and chip Jason White. A minute later, Liam White was put through despite clearly looking offside and ran in to beat White. Then on the stroke of half time  Retford’s Matt Parkin made a strong run forward and his shot from edge of box found the top corner of White’s goal.

HT 3-0

The Cobras had the benefit of the wind at their backs in the second half and it took only six minutes for them to get a foothold in the game when skipper Kofi Appiah made a strong run into the box and his low cross eluded Kennedy and was turned into his own net by Liam Bennett.

The visitors then got a second with 20 minutes remaining when Francis Finneran’s excellent curling shot from the edge of the area beat Kennedy. And they then had an excellent chance to equalise three minutes later when substitute Josh Kee put winger Nathan Moss through with only Kennedy to beat. However, the experienced ‘keeper did well and blocked with his feet. The Cobras continued to push forward but were unable to find the third goal that their overall performance deserved.

Clipstone remain on 18th place with 22 points from 26 games and their next game is against Harrogate Rail at the Lido Ground on Saturday 5 February, 3pm

Leave a Reply