Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

Glasshoughton Welfare vs Clipstone FC Sat 5th March KO 3pm

Saturday 5 March 2022

Northern Counties East Football League Division 1

Glasshoughton Welfare (0) 2

Stephens 83 Chippendale 87

Clipstone (0) 0


Preston, Bullock, Firth, Roche, Wright, Appiah ©, Platts, Hardwick, Finneran, Murphy, Pickering

Cobras’ Man of the Match:  Francis Finneran

Bookings: Appiah (foul), Wright (foul)

Attendance: 83

Match summary by Jim McIntosh:

A  battling performance by the Cobras ultimately failed to bring any rewards but with only eleven players available, Rudy Funk’s side came close to grabbing a much needed point.

Clipstone’s biggest issue since the turn of the year has been the lack of a settled side due to injuries and player unavailability. Once again Funk was obliged to make six changes to side beaten 2-0 by Worsborough Bridge on the previous Tuesday and had no substitutes on the bench. However, the players on the pitch showed great spirit and cut out the defensive errors that have blighted many recent performances.

The early stages of the game were even and the only action of note were bookings for Clipstone’s Kofi Appiah for a foul on Carl Robinson and then the Appiah was on the receiving end of some hard challenges with Lewis Stephens and Robinson both being booked.

Just before the half hour mark the visitors had an excellent chance when George Hardwick, who worked tirelessly in midfield, won back possession near the halfway line and laid the ball off to Francis Finneran, who in turn found Josh Pickering. Pickering’s ball down the line allowed Kallan Murphy to run into space and get to the goal line before crossing to Leighton Platts at the near post. The latter’s shot was blocked by the covering defender and the ball fell harmlessly to the goalkeeper.

Murphy was again in the action just before half time when he rose highest to meet a corner but his header went just wide of the upright.

HT 0-0

The visitors continued to battle in the second period with ‘keeper Charlie Preston being a calm presence behind the back four, Appiah and Hardwick combining well in midfield whilst Finneran and Murphy continued to provide a goal threat upfront. The home side did come close in the 66th minute when a cross from the left hand side found Lewis Stephens who blazed over from the penalty spot with just Preston to beat.

The next clear chance fell to Kallan Murphy in the 74th minute but his shot went just wide.

The deadlock was eventually broken with six minutes remaining when a corner from the left-hand side was headed home at the far post by Stephens. And Glasshoughton then sealed the victory two minutes later when the broke down the right-hand side and the ball was crossed to Jordan Chippendale at the near post who produced a neat finish to put his shot across Preston and into the far corner from six yards out.

Clipstone dug deep and still manged to create a further two chances. With two minutes remaining a Preston goal kick found its way through to Leighton Platts who moved into the left hand corner of the area but he was unable to move the ball onto his right foot for a shot. The Cobras then won a corner and Connor Wright’s header towards goal beat the ‘keeper but was cleared off the line with Murphy unable to get a foot to the loose ball.

FT 2-0

Of the sides in the bottom five, only Rainworth picked up points and so Clipstone remain in 19th place with 22 points from 33 games and the final relegation place would appear to be a battle between the Cobras and Swallownest. The Cobras next game is at home to local rivals Ollerton Town on Saturday 12 March, 3pm.

Leave a Reply