Clipstone vs Dunkirk 7th March (Home) 2020

Clipstone F.C. 3 - 4 Dunkirk F.C.
07 Mar 2020 - 15:00The Lido Ground, Clipstone Road East, Clipstone Village, Mansfield, NG21 9AB

Clipstone (3) 3

Sorrell 14’ Warwick 17’ Foster 41’

Dunkirk (1) 4

Mason Frizell 27’ 81’ Lewis Wilcox 59’ Jordan Alls 83’

Attn 60

Clipstone: Ogden, McConnell, Carrington, Blackbourn (Weaver) Whitton, Blades, Knowles, Sorrell (Lowe), J Warwick, Foster (c) (Ing), Pickering

Subs not used: Devereux,

Cobras’ Man of the match: Josh Pickering

Clipstone were left ruing missed chances in an incredible game at the Lido Ground as Dunkirk took all three points in a 4-3 loss.

Declan Sorrell gave the hosts the perfect start after fourteen minutes before Jack Warwick doubled our advantage three minutes later.

Mason Frizell pulled one back before the half hour. That didn’t deter the Cobras and Jason Foster gave the Cobras the two goal advantage again with a stunning free-kick finding the bottom corner giving the goalkeeper no chance.

Dunkirk came with a mentality that they were going to bully and dominate Clipstone and they became frustrated to be 3-1 down. Referee Daniel McDonald was subject to lots of complaints from the away side and eventually put striker Shannon-Lewis to the sin-bin for 10 minutes for dissent just before the break.

The visitors made it three-two through Lewis Wilcox just before the hour giving the game a whole momentum swing. Clipstone tried to continue with their ethos of playing out from the back and missed on another day possibly would have. However, lady luck was very much on the Dunkirk side and a quickfire double left the Cobras heartbroken in the 83rd minute.

Clipstone were behind for the first time but that hadn’t detered the Cobras as they tried to get something from the game. Just before added time the impressive Josh Pickering was tripped and referee, McDonald awarded the penalty.

You could cut the atmosphere with a knife and the whole ground was in suspense. Jack Warwick confidently stood up and smashed the ball off the crossbar.

Clipstone still pushed for an equaliser and 16-year-old Jack Lowe nearly sent the ground into raptures with a clever turn on the 18-yard-box before laying it off to Ethan Knowles. Knowles had time to compose himself but credit to the Dunkirk defence for reacting quickly and blocking the shot.

After the game Cobras manager Dave Hoole commented: “I’m gutted for the lads, the players deserved something from the game.

“From a management point of view we can take lots of positives away from the game. To create the chances like we did, against a side like Dunkirk was impressive.

“We’ve been riddled with injuries of late and we knew what we were in for today. Dunkirk are a physical team and they came intending to bully us. I’m pleased our lads didn’t react and pushed them all the way.

Hoole commented on captain Jason Foster who has only just returned from injury playing 3 games in a week, today he set up one and scored one.

“Fozzy (Jason Foster) hasn’t played a lot of football recently due to injury  and to come back the way he has and play 3 games in a week shows how well he has looked after himself while out, he’s reaping the rewards today setting up Jack’s goal and scoring our third.

Again, Hoole played a team with an average age of 21 and planning for next season has already begun. He said:

“Today is a real test for the lads, were a young side and when you come up against a physical team our style of play requires them to be bold and brave. Getting them game time is great preparation for next season.